Martin Lewis’ MoneySavingExpert issues travel warning over expiring EHIC cards

Millions of Brits have been warned ahead of booking a holiday this year.

The MoneySavingExpert website, founded by Martin Lewis, has warned travellers about the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

It told how it is being replaced by the new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

If you have an EHIC you can continue to use it abroad until it expires.

But those who haven't travelled during the coronavirus pandemic have been urged to check if they're still valid to use.

Once your EHIC has expired, you'll need to apply for a GHIC, unless you have rights to keep using the EHIC.

The MSE website warned: "Going to the EU? Ensure you've a valid GHIC or EHIC – millions expire this year."

"If you plan to travel to the EU, these cards give you access to state-run hospitals or GPs at the same price as a local.

"So if it's free for them, it's free for you. If you've the old European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), check it is still valid.

"If you don't have one, since Brexit it's been replaced by the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)."

Martin's MSE team also warned travellers not to use an external site that charges you to apply for a GHIC card.

If you head to the NHS website you can actually apply for it free, otherwise you could be scammed.

The news comes as travel restrictions are due to be further eased this month.

From 4am on February 11, all testing requirements will be removed for fully vaccinated arrivals into the UK.

  • One in five holidaymakers go on their travels hoping to make new friends along the way

Want all the biggest Lifestyle news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Hot Topics newsletter

Martin reminded Brits these rules are for returning home so you should still check requirements for your holiday destination.

Some may still require Covid tests to enter their country, or they may not be allowing Brits in at all.

You can always keep yourself updated with travel restrictions by heading to the GOV.UK website.

Source: Read Full Article