Will I need a visa for Spain after Brexit deal?

Spain announce travel ban for UK flights amid coronavirus strain

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is on the verge of announcing a Brexit deal. The government have been working to reach an agreement with Ursula von der Leyen before Christmas and the last details are reportedly being finalised. But with Spain being one of the UK’s most popular holiday destinations, many people are wondering what the Brexit deal will mean for travelling.

Will I need a visa for Spain after Brexit deal?

From January 1, 2021, visas will not be required for tourists travelling to most EU countries.

Travellers can also stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

The government guidance states: “If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

“You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.”

When entering EU countries, there may be separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing at border control.

You may also have to present a return ticket and show you have enough money for your stay.

UK nationals already living in Spain before the transition period ends will be able to stay if they have valid residencies.

For those looking to move to Spain after December 31, the government says “different immigration requirements will apply”.

The guidance reads: “If you are legally resident in Spain before the transition period ends on 31 December 2020, you will be able to stay.

“You must register as a Spanish resident if you want to stay in Spain for more than 3 months.

“Children must also be registered with their own residency document.

Passports: Experts name ‘golden visa’ to beat Brexit
China snubs England as Beijing shuts Visa centres over new strain
British expats highlight huge contradiction in EU visa rules

“If you are living in Spain before 1 January 2021 and register as a resident after 6 July 2020, you will be issued with a biometric residence card called a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE).

“This card will prove your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

“If you registered as a resident before 6 July 2020, you will have a green A4 certificate or credit card-sized piece of paper from Extranjeria or the police.

“This is still a valid document and will prove your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, including after the transition period ends.

“You can exchange your paper residence document for the new TIE but you are not obliged to.

“The green paper residence certificate and the new biometric TIE card will continue to be equally valid in proving your residence status and rights in Spain.

“But, the Spanish government advises that the biometric card is more durable and may simplify some administrative processes.”

Due to the current Covid-19 risks, Spain has banned travel from the UK until January 5.

Source: Read Full Article